Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Skeletal Mount Makin' II

I built another specimen mount today, and thought I'd share some pictures. I got slightly more ambitious and decided to create a rig to mount the mandibles in an open position, which made it a bit more complicated. Even so, it's still a pretty simple mount. All it requires is the wooden base, some  wire, wire cutters, and an adhesive. I decided to try out some model-making cement, which is supposed to work well for wood and metal. Seems to be holding up.

The underlying structure with the mandibles mounted.

...and with the skull mounted.

Before anyone freaks out on me, no the skull isn't real, and I'm respecting the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. It's a cast which I got from The Bone Room. Being the huge fan of raptors that I am, I felt in necessary to have one represented in my collection. And a cast is fine by me.


No comments:

Post a Comment