Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Perpetually-Projectile-Vomiting Dinosaurs of Santa Monica

Sorry for the lack of posts lately. I've been busy with relocating to Los Angeles, and settling in with a new job. I'm currently working at Side Effects Software, as a Character Animation Intern; working on a short film that is being produced internally.  I do have more drawings and even an animation test to eventually post, but first things first...

The office I'm working on is right on the Promenade in Santa Monica, and right outside, there are two Ornithischian dinosaur fountains, which I absolutely adore.*




I have always found it peculiar that there are a plethora of fountains in the world where the water spout emerges from the depicted animal's mouth. Every time I see this, I just can't help but laugh to myself. Here is another image.




The reason I find this so humorous, is because, if these figures were indeed alive....they would be in a horrifically uncomfortable state of perpetually-projectile-vomiting, which is hilariously ridiculous. The above Stegosaurus fountain therefore inspired me to realize this bizarre concept with the following digital painting (click for higher resolution):




I'm glad I got that off my chest! Now I hope every time you see an animal fountain, you imagine what it would look like if it were alive, and puking all over the place.

-Evan

Down the street there are two sauropods as well; both a Brachiosaur and Diplodocid - and they almost look like they're about to beat the crap out of each other

2 comments:

  1. I actually laughed out loud

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just doing a google image search on vomiting animals (don't ask) and stumbled upon this. I laughed my ass off. I am crying!

    ReplyDelete